Welcome to my space

Share my thoughts with me...I cannot promise you that I have something new and profound to say to you, but I hope to remind you of the basic truths of life as we both grow to being better citizens of our world...I'm always thinking out loud...so be loud with me ok?

Monday, January 18, 2010

Not for any Tom, Dick and Harry!!

In my line of service I hear all the time the term ‘Making the difference’ , just how our service needs people who stand out, take initiatives, always ready to do not just more than expected, but are simply available to do something without waiting to be asked or pushed. And every time I hear about this concept, I’m inspired to do just that and am constantly trying to find ways to achieve this in my life. However, as glorious as this concept sounds, I have realized that not many people really do ‘make the difference’.

And guess what? I think I get why….It is because standing out is costly. Once you put yourself out there, you are exposed. Some people will totally get you, teach you, inspire you to do more, and even cheer for you, while others will unfortunately not get you at all, will judge every word you say and everything you do, hold on to all your mistakes, causing you to want to coil back to your shell and just blend in like the majority around you are doing.

In life we have a choice to be ourselves or to become our circumstances.

As long as I keep my motives pure, and am giving of myself to better the lives or others, it should not matter whether I’m understood or not, if I’m appreciated or not, if I’m ‘rewarded’ or not. My duty is to execute my duties with excellence and diligence. I am human so I am bound to make mistakes. Sometimes really bad mistakes, but that’s no train smash. I learn from them, I pick myself up and go ahead, and with that my skin will get thicker and thicker. So, every time you feel tempted to coil back because it seems really hard to be the difference, remember our eyes are at the forehead…which means if they are speaking about you, its because you are ahead of them…keep walking….don’t look back!!!!

No comments: